With the days getting longer and the evenings getting warmer it’s time to dust off the grilling tongs and spatula for all those upcoming weekend cookouts with family and friends.
Be sure to fire up the grill this Father’s Day and impress dad with some skewer-grilling recipes featuring both bacon and beer—what better way to dad’s heart than through his stomach?
Honey-Beer Glazed Chicken Skewers
2 cloves of garlic, minced
⅓ cup honey
½ cup porter or stout beer
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
½ tsp. Dijon mustard
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. olive oil
¼ cup chopped shallots
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into cubes
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, honey, porter/stout beer, red pepper flakes, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and pepper. Add cubed chicken thighs and refrigerate for at least one hour. Do not exceed 8 hours. 2. Remove chicken (save marinade) and thread through wooden skewers. 3. In a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and shallots. Sautee until shallots have softened (about 5 minutes). Add remaining marinade and boil until mixture has reduced and thickened, stir frequently. 4. Preheat grill to medium high.
5. Brush grill lightly with oil.
6. Brush chicken with shallot glaze, place on grill. Brush chicken with glaze and turn every 2-4 minute until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.
Bacon Brussels Sprout Skewers
½ lb. bacon
1 lb. Brussels sprouts
½ tsp. ghee
½ tsp. garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1. In a frying pan, on medium heat, partially cook the bacon (if overcooked the bacon will be difficult to weave onto the skewer). Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Remove bacon grease, leaving enough to lightly coat the pan.
2. Cut Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Add sprouts, ghee, garlic power and salt to frying pan and sauté on medium heat until the sprouts are tender and lightly browned. 3. Heat grill to medium high. 4. Assemble skewers by threading one end of the bacon onto the end of the a skewer, add Brussels sprout slice, creating a weaving pattern of bacon between each sprout on the skewer. 5. Place skewer on top shelf of grill and bake for 5-10 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked.
Josh Sanders is CEO for Oklahoma-based Keystone Foodservice. The company provides cafeteria and meal service for K-12 schools and college fraternity and sorority houses throughout Oklahoma.